Weddings in India are elaborate affairs. And integral part of the wedding is the wedding costume. It is interesting to see that sarees and lehangas are among the most commonly worn Indian wedding dresses by the brides. You will be surprised to see the large varieties of bridal sarees and lehangas in myriad colors and varying designs and embroidery works.
Lehanga choli – one of the most preferred Indian wedding costume
India is a country known for its diversities and varieties. And this is applicable when it comes to bridal costumes. Lehanga choli is among the most sought after wedding costumes for women. And this attire is more popular in the various states in North India. Lehanga choli is a three-piece dress. The choli is the blouse, while the lehanga is the long, flowing skirt. The third and important part of the dress is the dupatta or the veil, which is used for covering the head of the bride.
Bridal lehanga choli is extremely gorgeous and dazzling. The choli can be made in various attractive designs – from net sleeves to backless, from heavily embroidered to simply made. Cholis in the shape of corsets and bustier are also gaining immense popularity with stylish divas. The lehanga is heavily embellished with laces, beads, stone, sequins, zari and contains intricate embroidery with silver and golden threads. Usually the lehanga and choli comes in contrast shades. The dupatta is usually transparent, but the borders are heavily embellished. The total ensemble is striking and any bride looks super gorgeous in this costume.
Choosing the right bridal lehanga choli – some important tips
If you love lehanga choli and decide to wear it on your wedding day, it is important that you make the right selection of the dress. The right choice of the costume will make you look magnificent, gorgeous and extremely charming.
Since lehanga choli comes in different styles, here are some tips that will help in making the perfect selection of the costume – one of the most popular Indian wedding dresses:
- Fitting of the lehanga is very important. Do not settle for either loose fitting or tight fitting ones.
- Select the color combination that works best for you. Red is a common color in bridal lehanga. However, you can select other colors as per your choice.
- Do not go for lehangas with lesser embroideries. It is your wedding after all. Select lehangas with heavy embroidery and zari work. Everybody loves a bright dazzling bride.
Lehanga styles according to body type
- For short height women – Women with short height should avoid sleeveless choli or choli with short sleeve. The shorter sleeves makes shorter women look even shorter. Also U neck with vertical prints or square neck styles is perfect for shorter women. These cuts help in giving a feel of taller look.
- For women with slim figures – The best thing about slim women is that they look good in all kinds of lehangas. Try a backless choli with haute couture style lehanga. You can experiment with choli styles – single shoulder choli, deep neck choli will all be suitable for you. Just ensure that your lehanga should be heavily embroidered for that gorgeous look.
- Women with heavy bust line – It is recommended to keep choli simple for women who have heavy bust line. Too much of embroidery on the choli will one look plump. The lehanga can however have necessary embellishments.
- Women with plus size – Color selection is important for such women. It is suggested to avoid colors like purple, maroon and red for the lehanga choli. Instead settle for colors like white, crème, beige, light yellow or light pink as these give a taller and slimmer look.
Follow these tips while selecting your bridal lehanga and you will surely become the center of attraction on your D-day!
About the Author:
Alena Collins is a fashion blogger, she loves writing about latest fashion trends. Apart from this she also creates fashion infographics and blogs too. You can check out on Kaseesh