Your HVAC system is considered as one of the most important aspects of your home. It keeps you warm in the winter, cool in the summer and maintains the air quality of your home. However, for your HVAC system to work at its fullest, and to save money on repairs, proper maintenance is a must. To get the most from your HVAC system, follow these tips.
- Once a year, the condenser and evaporator coils should be cleaned. Because these pieces are exposed to outdoor air, they are prone to dirt build-up as well as being prime locations for bacteria and mold to grow. The cleaner used should be designed specifically for evaporators and coils, and be completely rinsed off when the job is done to prevent indoor air contamination. Proper cleaning and maintenance improves efficiency by as much as 16%.
- Filters should be replaced as recommended by the manufacturer. Since filters are where dust and germs are collected, it is necessary to replace them often-usually anywhere between 1 and 6 months. When replacing the filters, experts suggest that you use pleated filters that are made of synthetic fabrics or cotton for optimum indoor air quality.
- At least twice a year, be sure to inspect the area that is located around the air intake. Like other parts of your HVAC system, it is ideal for the growth of molds. Make sure that there is no available standing water in the air handler.
- Check the cabinet and supply duct for leaks. Common spots are around the screws, gaskets or latches; take action as mandated
- Every 2 years, the air ducts should be cleaned. While there is some discrepancy between HVAC manufacturers on how often this must be done, it is highly recommended to check and clean the supply side and return ducts so there is less dirt build-up in the ducts every 24 months. This is a job that should be done by a professional HVAC contractor.
- As part of an annual maintenance check, clean and adjust the dampers. This is one of the most common causes of reduced air flow. Improperly maintained dampers have the ability to affect the air quality and at the same time lead to high energy bills.
- At least every 6 months, check the fan, belts and bearings as they can easily fill up with dirt lessening the air flow effectiveness and air quality. Be sure the fan motor is moving in the right direction and that bearings are properly lubricated. Also, belts should fit correctly without being too loose or too tight as this can cause system failure.
Proper maintenance and care is vital to get the most from the HVAC system. Luckily, it is not something you need to do on your own. If you are looking for a professional and reliable provider of AC repair services, C&S A/C Services is the ideal company you should hire. They will guarantee all their clients that they would never go wrong with their offered services. Call them today to know and learn more about their services.
Gladys L. Combs, Sees the world through his lenses and describe it by his hand. We provide first class repairs, maintenance, and installation to all major brands. There is not job that is too big or too small for us. We are in the AC repair and replacement business. We aim to be in the home and commercial comfort business.